Mission: To promote the advancement of California's health care workforce through quality education and services.
Purpose: The purpose of the Health Workforce Initiative is to identify health care workforce needs and cultivate solutions. The role of the Health Workforce Initiative is to facilitate a community college response to workforce needs.
The Health Workforce Initiative (HWI) is a program of the Workforce and Economic Development division of the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office.
HWI fosters communication and collaboration between the health care industry and education systems. By identifying and highlighting health care workforce needs, HWI helps California Community Colleges to respond effectively to changing workforce needs.
- Foster partnership/collaboration to leverage resources among educators, government, and health care providers
- Job analysis
- Technical assistance for curriculum development and revision, staff development and testing
- Incumbent worker training
- Coordinate regional activities to identify and meet workforce development needs
- Develop creative alternatives in educational delivery
- Provide curriculum and program information/referrals
- Offer professional educational workshops and events
HWI provides direct services to health care related businesses, with a major focus on incumbent worker training. Topics include RN Specialty Certification Review Courses and Health Care Leadership Development and Customer Service Courses utilizing Development Dimensions International (DDI) and Achieve Global curriculum. Please contact the HWI statewide office for details.