Nursing Clinical Faculty
A series of courses developed by Directors of three community college nursing programs; Margaret Craig - Napa Valley, Fran Brown - Solano Community College, and Meredith Harris - College of the Redwoods, to assist newly recruited nursing program faculty in their transition from nursing practice.
**NOTE: 4Faculty is no longer offering the post-test and CEUs for the 4Faculty modules. The modules will stay on our website for the information only now.
These seven Clinical Instruction Modules were created in response to a need by nursing programs for new clinical instructors. They were funded by a Johnson and Johnson grant and were initially put on line in the 4faculty.org website that was supported by the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office. Unfortunately the 4faculty.org site is no longer being supported and these modules have been moved to the California Health Workforce Initiative web site ca-hwi.org.
The intended audience for these modules were clinical instructors in California Community Colleges. Since they were made available for free and served a significant need, new faculty in many different Colleges and Universities have used them and provided very positive feedback. Ideally the order for taking these short modules is listed below along with the names of the Authors
- Role Transition opens in a new tab - Margaret M. Craig, RN, MSN
- Getting Started opens in a new tab - Fran Brown, RN, MSN
- Teaching Clinical- The Process opens in a new tab - Fran Brown, RN, MS
- Evaluation opens in a new tab - Meredith Harris, RN, MSN
- Legal/Ethical Issues opens in a new tab - Meredith Harris, RN, MSN
- Promoting Critical Thinking In Clinical Setting opens in a new tab - Margaret M. Craig, RN, MSN
- Becoming an Expert Preceptor opens in a new tab - Maire Morinec, RN, MS
Faculty Externship Guide
Hot off the Presses! Attached please find the California Community Colleges Guidebook to developing a successful Faculty Externship Program. This user-friendly guide provides a general framework with sample templates for the design of a Faculty Externship Program including logistical considerations, recruiting and management of participants (HWI - Inland Empire 1070 project, with assistance from the Coachella Valley Economic Partnership 2014).